Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ask not what your country can do for you


Greetings family. To begin, Lori, let's call it a draw on the country music issue. Once people start quoting the Book of Mormon to prove me wrong, I know I am in a losing battle. Although, in all fairness, I did feel like some of your scripture references were mixed with your own "theories" :). All that aside, though, I really like the family blog idea. I think if we steer clear of some of the more "controversial" issues (like the fact that some people can't stand the idea that I don't LOVE country music as much as they do) this is a great forum for sharing information. Our news for the day is that we are expecting again. Marci is about eight weeks along, and, since a bunch of people in our ward already know, we figured you all should, too. Anyway, we are excited. Also, this time around, Marci's busy schedule and regular basketball playing is helping to minimize her sickness, and we are all grateful for that that!

Things are going well for everyone else around here as well. Sophie is growing up and just started nursrey. She has been a very easy-going child so far and went to nursrey without looking back. You have to love that. Here's hoping it lasts. Maggie and Jake are doing well, too, and we all look forward to seeing you all this summer. Have a great Sunday.

12 comments:

Grandma lu said...

Hooray! Number 18 is on the way! So glad you are feeling OK, Marci!
Sometime in September a new one!

Love the idea of a family blog too. Love to read what you have all written. Isn't it a wonderful thing to write. It is such a surprise and so much fun to see what comes off the keyboard. You are all very clever, thoughtful, insightful, intelligent children. Hummm . . . must be genetic. (Does this blog have a spell-check function?)

Good news on the home front for me. Led my discussion today in RS and it worked! The Spirit was there, the sisters felt it and it was a miracle. I love when that happens! Much prayer and much faith bring miracles! Read "Sunday Will Come" by Elder Wirthlin if you didn't get it for your Teachings for our Times lesson.

As far a country music goes, I grew up listening to the radio in St. George and going to Rodeos. Need I say more?

lori said...

It's a truce, Mike! I can't dispute anyone with kids THAT CUTE! (and a disclaimer: my previous and unduly passionate post was written mostly because responding to Mike sounded MUCH more appealing than writing official sounding e-mails to negligent Wyview residents who are currently "in breach of their Wyview contract due to their failure to comply with cleaning inspections..."
In reality, my professed "love" of country music consists merely of enjoying whatever song Wes happens to turn on the IPOD. I can't say that I involve myself in any kind of active musical pursuit at the moment - unless you count primary songs and finger plays.

Most importantly: WE ARE SO EXCITED about another little Marci or Mike! Hope you keep feeling well, Marci! We miss you guys tons!

wes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark and Maria said...

Congratulations guys!! Great news. Maybe we'll make our first trip to DC after the new one arrives. I'm excited to see you all in Provo.

By the way, I can't help but feel a little responsible for the whole country music family feud. After all, I'm the one who gave Wes those country songs in the first place. But alas, I'm a country convert myself. The enlightenment of the "Los Angeles Years" was not solely dental in nature. While I did not become a democrat like Mike has in DC, I did learn to appreciate the art of telling a corny story to twangy music that for some reason people like even though they know it is a corny story put to twangy music. Those who resist are just trying to tell themselves that they are not susceptible to that affinity deep inside each of us for corniness and twanginess. In Los Angeles, I learned that there is no shame in embracing the corny/twangy part of our nature. While I regret the discord that it has caused in our family, I do not apologize nor do I regret that (As Alan Jackson would say) I've "gone country."

ok, I can see how this blog stuff can get out of hand.

Anyway, great idea Wes and congratulations Mike and Marci.

PS: Maria and I are going to see Rascall Flatts in couple of weeks! YeeHa!!

Love,

Mark

wes said...

That's fantastic! I am glad to hear that Marci hasn't been feeling as bad as usual.

Thanks for everyone putting their two cents in about Country music. It's been fun... Now on to bigger and better things, let's get started planning our big gathering this summer. I have a couple ideas about hikes and parks that we could visit, and activities that we could have, so I will let you know about those and you can approve or disapprove/add to or take away as you please. Most of you are very familiar with Provo so let's put all of our ideas on the page.

One idea that I want to mention right now so we can prep for it is a triathlon. Not the full blown thing but a modified version. And Dad has already agreed to take part. This will be really informal, Mike and I have already tried the route when we prepped for the St. George tiathalon two years ago. This time each person will only be expected to participate in part of the event. Here's the idea: Dad will draw two of his son's names from a hat and Dad and those two will then be one team, the other team will be the unchosen names. We will then have to decide who does what in the two groups.

So, what do you think?

suzy said...

Yeah! Congrats guys! Wow, number four. That's fantastic! I'm glad you're feeling good!

Okay, so Wes mentioned the triathlon and Dad and his "sons"...so I was wondering if I could be part of the bike and/or running team too. I'm "training" for a half marathon, which means that I run/walk three miles in an hour (not good) but I would really like to do one, so I'm trying. I know being a girl kind of puts a damper on the whole father-sons thing, but I'll just be an extra body and won't say much. (Probably because I'll be working so hard I won't be able to breath:)

I love the whole family blog thing! And yes, I too have gone a little bit country...but still love the rock'n'roll! I just can't listen to it when I'm hormonal or I end up just crying at every song. A little more info than necessary!:)

wes said...

Yes! Suzy, we were planning originally to have a girls triathlon, but mom said she wasn't necesarily thrilled about the idea and then with Marci pregnant I thought I'd just get this one going but if you want to join up I think another event in the triathlon could be in order--what is that a tetra-athlon?--or you could talk to everyone else to see if you could have a different event for the women who want to participate. I don't know but please know anyone is invited... so in a Mike Meyers-esque fashion "twalk amongst youselves" and post your ideas. :) Love you guys

Mark and Maria said...

How about a pilates-athon, Suz? Even though I would get beaten by all the pilates girls in the family. But, hey, I'm up for a physical challenge. I need something to get me going these days! It might even be fun to include the kids in something like this...I don't know maybe that is getting too crazy, but I think they would have fun! Maybe a day or afternoon of relays and races.

Maria

suzy said...

We could have the "Truman Family Olympics" with T-shirts and all! I'm up for a pilates-athon. Of course I talk like I'm in shape, but this is great motivation. The kids could compete in age groups or all together or whatever. It'll be fun!

lori said...

Hey! I'm ready! Mmmm. Let me rephrase: I'd LIKE to be ready come June! :)

Wes and I originally talked about somehow including the female half of the family in this triathlon business. As long as this is all just for fun and not for serious competition, I'm in :)

And I think relays for the kids would be a blast! (Even Lucy would probably love the idea...we take her to the track with us sometimes and she just plugs along in the midst of all those collage students. "running...running..." she says, very seriously. Cracks me up!)

Anyway, Wyview is RIGHT next to BYU's intermural field, so we'll have plenty of room for whatever...

Mike said...

For the record, Mark, I am not, never have been, and never will be a democrat. Any physical competition sounds great, as long as we can get some b-ball in, too. We can't wait to be enjoying the nice warm Provo summer with all of you (The weather out here is just crazy right now). By the way, Rascall Flatts, is that some natural geographical landmark that I've never heard of?

Grandma lu said...

Another Friday night and I don't have no body, well, Dad in on the couch reading his book (I finished mine first THE WESTING GAME) a book everyone in elementary school had read but me. Love reading your blog comments, I will begin again my pilates in earnest. May the best abs win. Oh, Dad has been going to the gym, I took another week off for my cold and he has lost nearly 20 pounds and I have gained one!
HUMMMM....