Thursday, February 22, 2007


Country music isn’t that bad. In fact, I quite like it. Those who know me best will find that statement pretty out of character. My first musical memories are listening to Suzy learning to play the piano, Zach’s break dance music, and weird Al Yankovic’s funny alterations of popular songs. Later I learned to love the music that was on Mike’s myriad of CD’s and Joe Dixon’s endless cassettes (two very different people and two very different kinds of music). Then I got married and developed a love for choral music and Broadway musicals. By that time, I really thought I had explored all possible musical genres. I was content. Never, did I ever even consider country music as a viable option. But, one day, Mark transferred some songs to our computer. They were almost all country songs. Lori and I were trepidatious at the start, only listening to those that were established as good because they were played on non country radio stations; over time we got over some of the corny lyrics and stopped counting how many times the artists referred to their trucks and really learned to enjoy it. It really isn’t that bad. So, in a Dr. Seuss spirit I say to all who are prejudiced against country songs like I was “You do not like them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may. Try them and you may, I say”.


Okay, so that was pretty random. I just wanted to write an example of what this web group can be. It’s a page where we can write random things like this, or just post family updates/pictures, and plan for future events(like our summer gathering). I don’t have everyone’s address so please include your spouses’ and kids’ email addresses so I can invite them to the group too.

Hope to talk to you all soon,
Wes

2 comments:

Mike said...

Wes,
Is that meant for me?
I know all about green eggs and ham--I use it myself with the kids all the time. In theory, the suggestion appears reasonable. The problem is--and this is something I haven't told the kids--is that it also fits in with other, more negative, suggestions: just once won't hurt, everyone's doing, etc. :)
In fact, it seems like the real question is, do I really want to start down the country road? Let me put it this way: theoretically, if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound? If I'm perfectly happy without listening to country music every day, do I really need to try it? Who is Sam I Am anyway, and what gives him any moral superiority? If the same book were written by John Lenon it would probably have been banned because green eggs and ham would likely represent some harmful drug and Sam I Am relentless peer pressure. Bottom line: I understand the principle, but does everyone have to like green eggs and ham?
I know this comes off as awfully narrow-minded. You may be thinking to yourself, "yeah, but he needs to listen to the entire Billy Ray Cyrus/Garth Brooks/Brooks and Dunn/Faith Hill (these are all country people, right?) collection, or at least a substantial part of it, before he can really pass judgment." I have two responses to that: first, I have listened to some country music, and frankly, some of the country songs on our family videos I really like (although it's hard to tell how much of that influenced by my affinity for the family, but since it is clearly not offensive, as I imagine some music could be no matter what pictures accompanied them, I chalk it up as good, uplifing music); second, just because I like some songs does not mean that I should necessarily be inclined to pursue the genre any further. There are other genres that I am actively pursuing that, for the present, completely fulfill my music needs. Frankly, I'm glad to have Wes, Mark, Suzy, etc out there sorting out the best of the best in county music; I find my exposure to country through you fully satisfies all my country needs. :)
The blog is cool by the way,
Mike

lori said...

mmmmm, persuasive, Mike.

First of all: I think Wes's post was certainly not meant to be accusatory. However, didn't someone once say, "the guilty taketh the truth to be hard...?"

But who can argue with a lawyer? Your case was well laid. There is little that even we recent and enthusiastic country converts could offer up as rebuttal. I take only slight issue with one premise of your defense:

You claim: "just because I like some songs does not mean that I should necessarily be inclined to pursue the genre any further. There are other genres that I am actively pursuing that, for the present, completely fulfill my music needs."

In the distant recesses of my mind there rings, familiarly, the phrase: "A Bible, A Bible, we have got a Bible..."

I risk carrying the scriptural analogy too far, but I must note: your admission of "really" liking some country songs compels me to screem a few Alma-esque exclamations...like: "awake!" "experiment!" "exercise a particle of faith!" "give place!"

An invitation from a reputation-less Dr. Suess character to ingest an unidentifiable green substance? Dismissible.

An invitation from a trusted brother to plant a tried, tested seed and to reap a good, lovely, and praiseworthy reward? That's another story.

Lori