Friday, March 2, 2007

Proceed With Caution...


Along with what seems like the rest of humanity, the Wes Trumans are all recovering from bouts of illness. Being on the tail end of her unidentified virus, Lucy woke up this morning with the usual crust of “boogs” (as she calls them) in and around her delicate little nose (this is graphic, I tried to warn you!) So I retrieved a Kleenex, and as we sat together on the couch with the reverent strains of “Clifford the Big Red Dog” floating in the morning air, we performed the “nose picking” ritual (I try subtly to inch my finger close to her nose, she inevitably senses the intrusion and pushes my hand away saying “No!”)
Well, the situation this morning was pretty dire. I finally gave up on subtlety and tried to reason with her (always very effective with near-two-year-olds, I know, I know!). I turned her to face me on my lap, “Honey, we’ve got to get your nose cleaned. It’s part of getting ready for the day.” A few more failed attempts. “Lucy, please let mommy get your boogs!” My “reasoning” verged on pleading. Instead of the flailing “Nooo!” that I was anticipating, Lucy looked at me solemnly, held one chubby little pointer finger in front of my eyes and said “One time!” Shocked and delighted, I quickly cleaned her nose. (That one swipe was insufficient, but I wasn’t about to press my luck.)
So who calls the shots around our house? I have no further comment.

2 comments:

suzy said...

I love it!!! Lucy you and Kate are so meant to be close cousins! We had our Rites of Passage this week too! Ritualistically, upon waking from her afternoon nap, I open up Kate's door to hear, "Hi! I stinky." To which I promptly remove her from the crib and enter into round one of WWF Wrestling. After about round three (and that's on a good day) I finish, and much to my chagrin, do not finish the better man.
This week upon entering and proceeding through our dialog, I explained to Kate that she could get out if Mommy could change her diaper, and promptly took a seat on the floor. AFter several attempts (too many if you consult ANY parenting book) and a long list of bribes, she took the bate
(albeit not very happy.) I got her out and although it still took one round of WWF, I ended the better man, and she a happier girl!
Of course, that was Thrusday and it hasn't been successful since, but there is that light at the end of the tunnel:)

lori said...

HA! I love these girls! Can't wait to see them together this summer :)
Good luck with the wrestling, Suz!