Thursday, July 12, 2007

COLLAPSE


Thanks for the book suggestion, Wes.
Just finished reading Part One Modern Montana, and couldn't help but relate it to St. George and what is happening in southern Utah. Stewardship of the earth is a responsiblity we all share, and I was so curious to see what BYU professors are assigning and what "liberal" authors are writing that they would consider relevant. Am in the process of reevaluating my opinion of Mr. Diamond and pushing myself to read his really challenging book. You have to understand that most of my reading is children's fiction. There is quite a difference between children's fiction and this nonfiction writing.
The thing most surprising about his writing is that he consistantly balances different points of view and increases our understanding and sympathy for all of them: the rich city dweller who wants to move to Montana for it's pristine environment, the local land developer who is trying to make a living for his family by purchasing and developing farmland, and the farmer who wants to farm and make a living but cannot do it without working three other jobs. All three have goals that are nearly unachievable because of the others and other factors like mining, water usage (can you imagine how precarious Las Vegas is. . .) and forestry.
Have to plow through the other 450 plus pages before I write anymore, but we are promised that "the earth is full and there is enough and to spare." That surely depends on wise stewardship.
Reading about the Montana farmers reminded me so much of my father and his work on the water board. Wonder who is doing that for St. George/Gunlock now? Ed? Must be, Toni tells me he is going to a water meeting in California soon. Ashlee tells me Gunlock will never change if Ed has anything to say about it.
Final quote from the book (p. 59), Montana farmer's joke: "Question: 'What would you do if you were given a million dollars?' Answer: "I love farming, and I would stay here on my money-losing farm until I had used up the million dollars!"
The girls (Phoebe and Laurie) told me one of our cousins sold their desert farm land for 26 million dollars. Hummm

2 comments:

lori said...

I've still got to read this one! Wes has spoken highly of it for the past year.

Lu- I finished The Higher Power of Lucky! I will FOR SURE remember to bring it down to Gunlock to return to you! THHANKS for letting me borrow it!

Grandma lu said...

Can't wait to see what you think of "Lucky". I've read Mrs. Cropper's club's thoughts.

See you soon.