Sunday, August 12, 2007

A weekend with Jane






JANE AUSTIN . . . the Stephenie Meyer of her day with bigger vocab!

Dad took me to see "Becoming Jane" . . . heartbreaking fictionalization of Jane's lost love, then we came home and watched the PRIDE & PREJUDICE film after which I began to read P&P through from a brand new copy. All I lack is the music score of the films to create the English gardens and the struggle to restrain passion. Maybe an occasional rain shower would help too.

Fiction is wonderful and gives us such perspective, but are we not blessed to live in these times however perilous they may be when we as women have some autonomy and can with effort become as Mr. Darcy would say "accomplished?"

Check out the web sites below, after seeing the movie. Apologies to any who consider the comparison of Jane and Stephenie as nearly blasphemous.

http://www.jasna.org/index.html
http://becomingjane-themovie.com/

one more link to make your decision easier:

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/b/becomingjane.htm


4 comments:

Grandma lu said...

Alma 22:18 O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day.

Scripture quoted in church today and one that gave me pause. The movie did contain some innappropriate innuendoes and the bare backsides of the boys jumping in the river. Not that I was unaware of the content but my desire to see the movie about one of my favorite authors was more powerful than my choice to be selective. . . so, this disclaimer . . .

lori said...

This made me laugh and smile and think and then laugh again!

We haven't seen the movie yet. We'd like to if you recommend it. I'm excited to poke around a little on that Jane Austin Society page...how fun!

Phoebe said...

I'm anxious to see it...I always hate recommending movies...or even admitting that I did or did not like it! hahah Your house is coming right up!!! so exciting!! Hope all is well.. love you!

Grandma lu said...

Suzy is going to see it tonight. She'll be definite one way or the other. I loved the story and loved that they didn't "revise" history and run away to the woods for blatant immoral activity. That was a big dissapointment for me with the Pultizer Prize winning novel MARCH. There is much worse I am sure on prime time TV, but I only watch American Idol because I don't have time or interest for anything else. The ads are bad enough.